Re: Aptitude suddenly tries to remove almost everything!

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:39:45AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
When I ran aptitude today it suddenly wanted to remove dozens of vital
applications. I therefore purged aptitude and reinstalled it, following
which it behaved rationally again. I've had this once or twice before.
It makes me think that apt-get is probably safer.

If aptitude is doing this it tends to be due to an inconsistent package cache. Rather than purging aptitude, try moving its cache file somewhere else and rerunning it. Rename or move the file /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates and rerun aptitude.

I ran into this problem once, and removing that file fixed it. Since then I use wajig and aptitude frequently and interchangably, and haven't had any issues.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/