Re: Help Me Regarding SSL

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:03:07 -0800 (PST), Umar Draz <i_debian@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  now i want Apache+SSL+PHP+Mysql on this machine.  i
> have downloaded
>
> apache.1.3.33.tar.gz
> mod_ssl-1.3.33.tar.z
> mysql-4.1.9.tar.gz
> openssl-0.9.7e.tar.gz
> php-4.3.9.tar.gz
>
> I want all above mentioned package
> install through source not through debian package.
>
> Now my question is that can i I compile
> openssl-0.9.7e.tar.gz source because openssl already
> installed on this machine during courier-imap-ssl
> installation.
>
>   If i can install then which directory should be use
> ? existing openssl
> dir or new one.

It's easy enough to install openssl from source with an existing
install.  I'd suggest putting the package in either /usr/local or
/opt.  When you run configure, make sure you call it with something
like:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local

That way, when you run "make install", it'll put the libraries and
binaries in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin.  Obviously, if you want
to install it in /opt, you'd change "/usr/local" to "/opt" in the
above.  You'll probably need to tell apache where the alternate
version of openssl is, though.  I assume there'll be a configure
option something like "--openssldir", but I've never built apache, so
I don't actually know.

One thing you don't want to do is try to install it over the Debian
version -- that will kill courier-imap-ssl and screw up the package
management system.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh