Problems with net-install Debian Woody under UML

I'm trying to install Debian Woody under UML with the following command....

./linux mem=64M initrd=root.bin ubd0=rootfs ubd1=swapfs
eth0=daemon,fe:fd:00:00:00:00,unix,/var/run/uml-utilities/uml_switch.ctl

I get the installer menu, and I drop to a shell and manually mount the
rootfs on /target and the swap, etc.  Everything goes smooth (expect DHCP
never works even with assigned MAC address).  After it downloads the
packages, it starts to unpack or install the packages.  During this process,
it hangs while unpacking packages.  Using ps It looks like the base-config
package is hanging during unpack, but if I use screen to connect to the
console where dpkg is running, it magically starts up again.  I tried using
pts and pty's.  From where screen picks up it looks like it is hanging at
the ncurses-bin package at the following...

Selecting previously deselected package ncurses-bin.
dpkg: regarding .../ncurses-bin_5.2.20020112a-7_i386.deb containing
ncurses-bin, pre-dependency problem::
 ncurses-bin pre-depends on libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20020112a-1)
  libncurses5 is unpacked, but has never been configured.
dpkg: warning - ignoring pre-dependency problem !
Unpacking ncurses-bin (from .../ncurses-bin_5.2.20020112a-7_i386.deb) ...
*hangs until pts/pty is attached*

Does anyone have an idea what would cause this or a possible workaround?

Regards,

--
Michael Brancato
Senior Network Engineer