Re: jackd trouble

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 1138, somebody named Henry Hollenberg
inscribed this message:
> Nathanael Hasbrouck wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 February 2005 1906, somebody named Henry Hollenberg
> > inscribed

> >>$ jackd -d alsa
> >>
> >>still gives me alot of
> >>**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.398 msecs
> >>**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 9.354 msecs
> >>**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 64.750 msecs
> >>**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 59.304 msecs
> >>**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 4.890 msecs
> >
> > Try increasing the -p and/or -n flags, and/or using --softmode.  'man
> > jackd' will explain these options in more detail. :^)  I use something
> > along the lines of
> >
> > jackd -d alsa -r 44100 -n 3 -p2048 --softmode
> >
> > which generally gives a minimum of xruns under general usage.  (Athlon
> > 1800+, only 256MB ram :( )
> >
> > I've found that a handy way to test for sound output is with xmms's
> > jackd output plugin.  I also find qjackctl to be rather useful for
> > monitoring/configing/etc. jackd.  It gives a nice interface to start
> > and stop the daemon, a message console, patchbay, and will save
> > multiple configurations for quick recall. :^)
> >
> > NRH
>
> Should jackd be running all the time or should each application start it
> then shut it down when it is done?
>
> Should it be in a startup script?

It depends.  I usually start it up (with qjackctl) when I need it - not all
apps will start it automatically.  Jack is also pretty powerful - you can
route stuff from one application to another, instead of just to or from
the sound card.  So you can create effects loops, etc., all in your
computer.  Fun stuff. :^)

You can leave jackd running all the time if you want, it just means that
any app that makes sound will have to be able to use jack somehow.  I use
KDE, and have artsd set to find it's device automatically so that if I
don't have jack running, it just uses ALSA, but if I have jack running
arts goes through jack.  If you're using Gnome, I'm not sure how that
would work.  I know Gstreamer has a jack output plugin, but I also know
that Rhythmbox won't work with it. (Nor will it use the arts plugin, which
stinks - I like Rhythmbox, otherwise...)

If you get it running with a startup script, let me know. I haven't found
one for it yet and am too lazy/busy ATM to learn how to write one
myself. :^/

NRH
--
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.