Re: AMD 64 Recommendations

On (16/02/05 14:52), Tong wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Tong <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com>
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:52:43 -0500
> Subject: Re: AMD 64 Recommendations
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:29:07 +0000, d3c3it-linux wrote:
>
> > [...] so ive come to this
> > point wondering if i do get an amd 64, if i run the kernel in 64bit can
> > i run the rest of the system in 32bit.
>
> According to the doc, there is no problem. Check out here.
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=12337
>
> But mind you, it is not a big deal running 64b or 32b in other distros
> like RedHat or slackware, but in Debian it is a *big* hassle.
>
> > I would be running on
> > sarge/testing. If this is going to throw up issues id downgrade to maybe
> > a septron. But i really would like to future proof to some point.
>
> IIRC, amd 64 only available in unstable. But I also notice people talking
> about amd64 on sarge/testing. Better confirm that first.
>
> IMHO, the 64b Debian is not usable yet. I tried the ubuntu first, but
> gave up very soon because of lack of support and user community...
Well, how do you define unusable?  Admittedly, I haven't yet configured
xine and a couple of other bits and pieces (time constraints) but I got
a 64 bit machine in January and have been using sid amd64 as my main
workstation for some weeks now ..... and I'm no expert ;)

Join the debian-amd64 list or check the archives, there are quite a few
people running amd64.

Regards

Clive

--