Re: compile kernel for alsa

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:27 +0100, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> I was given a straight forward way of installing alsa sound drivers on my
> system:
>
> apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.27
> apt-get install alsa-source
> cd /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> ./snddevices
> modprobe ens1371   (snd-ens1371 denotes the OSS version of the driver
> which we dont want)
> alsamixer (to set mixer channel volumes)
>
> When typing make I get this error message:
>
> hjem:/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver# make
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore'
> make[1]: *** No rule to create target
> '/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.4/include/stdarg.h' wich is needed by
> 'hwdep.o'. Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore'
> make: *** [compile] Error 1
> hjem:/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver#
>
> (Translated parts of the error message because the output was in danish.)
> I was later told this error was because I have to compile the kernel for
> the alsa modules. I've been fearing this, as I have no clue to how to
> compile, and I've been told its a good chance to fuck things up when
> compiling.

this is bad reasoning. everyone ought to know how to compile a kernel.

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/kernel-pkg/index-kernel-pkg.html

> I'm sorry to be bothering you with triviell questions, but this part of
> linux I am pretty uncertain on. The documents I found on google was not
> what I was looking for (not matching my problem excactly or to advanced
> for me)...

you could always try installing the alsa modules that match your running
kernel (2.4.x) or install a vanilla 2.6.x kernel (alsa is part of the
2.6 line).

let us know if you have more questions.

-matt zagrabelny