compile kernel for alsa

I was given a straight forward way of installing alsa sound drivers on my
system:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.27
apt-get install alsa-source
cd /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver
./configure
make
make install
./snddevices
modprobe ens1371   (snd-ens1371 denotes the OSS version of the driver
which we dont want)
alsamixer (to set mixer channel volumes)

When typing make I get this error message:

hjem:/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver# make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore'
make[1]: *** No rule to create target
'/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.4/include/stdarg.h' wich is needed by
'hwdep.o'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore'
make: *** [compile] Error 1
hjem:/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver#

(Translated parts of the error message because the output was in danish.)
I was later told this error was because I have to compile the kernel for
the alsa modules. I've been fearing this, as I have no clue to how to
compile, and I've been told its a good chance to fuck things up when
compiling.

Is there a straight foreward HOWTO or guide, with minimal chances of
failing, and easy to understand for a newbie like me?

I'm sorry to be bothering you with triviell questions, but this part of
linux I am pretty uncertain on. The documents I found on google was not
what I was looking for (not matching my problem excactly or to advanced
for me)...

--
System info:
  Debian Sarge GNU/Linux