Re: testing a kernel without reboot

Andreas Rippl wrote:
On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 05:04:09PM -0200, Rodrigo Baroni wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:32:39 +0100, Andreas Rippl <a.rippl@gmx.net> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:30:29PM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

Now is there a way i can test (boot) a new kernel to see what is going
to happen?

first thought for me is also UML, with VMWare as a close second. Ok, it
is not GPLed or anyhting, but for checking on the boot process of a
kernel it might be useful...?

Now there is Xen , GPL, better than VMWare.
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/xen

Rodrigo Ferreira Baroni

Hi Rodrigo,

have you tried Xen? I have only read one article about it. Is it stable
as to be useable? Under which kernel? I heard that the kernel has to be
patched for it?

I am currently back to the stone age with my smoke signal modem, so I don't
hear too many things...Ah the good old days in Uni with apt-get updates of
3MB/s :)

I had a look at it and it seems very nice. But i couldn't find out if it will let you try out a kernel with respect to the testing of hardware so that you can be sure that the behaviour you see when running the kernel in Xen, you'll see the same result when you start the kernel "normally".

Regards,
Benedict