Re: testing a kernel without reboot

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:30:29PM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in another thread (on LVM, looooong thread :)) i tried to get a 2.6
> kernel working on a machine where a 2.4.24 kernel works ok.
>
> Now is there a way i can test (boot) a new kernel to see what is going
> to happen?
> I'm tired of trying some changes, compile the kernel and rebooting. It
> would be fun if you could test it without rebooting. Only thing that i
> can think of is using UML?
>
> If this doesn't work, i think i will try to install Sarge to get a
> working 2.6 kernel that way.
> I will just have to look for the fastest way then to get my current
> proggies and configs back.
>
> Regards,
> Benedict

Hi Benedict,

first thought for me is also UML, with VMWare as a close second. Ok, it
is not GPLed or anyhting, but for checking on the boot process of a
kernel it might be useful...? That is, if you try to test a kernel with
a specific hardware, VMWare is pbbly no good, but that might also apply
to UML.

--
Andreas Rippl -- I prefer encrypted mail