RE: Sendmail, multithreading

Thanks

Interesting, thanks for the info! threads v processes on Linux. It Makes
an interesting counter to the argument that Linux cannot do
multi-threading as well as Solaris/AIX so its crap. When in fact from
what you are saying it is immaterial. Given some performance figures I
have seen that show Solaris is very bad a single threads, it suggests
marketing and FUD are out in force!

We have soft limits on actual processes so there is a big difference on
running multi-threaded with 100 soft-limit and 6~8 actual and single
threaded with a 100 limit and 30~60 actual.

Normally the limit is not an issue but a email delivery spike means we
stop accepting mail for that duration. With multi-threaded it takes that
bit longer to reach that limit.

Which makes me wonder why Sophos are so fixated on the calculation 4gig
of ram / 40 when it looks like this calc only really applies to single
threading....(I guess)

Regards

Steven