kacpi

About 45 minutes ago, kacpi started using 50-90% of my cpu doing
something that used *lots* of swapping.

This machine is a desktop with an Intel 865 chipset, running Sarge.

I googled (slowly), but the only thing I could find was to set 'noacpi'
in the bootloader script. That's already there, from an earlier try.

The string 'kapci' isn't in any file in /etc; find, which, and whereis
can't find it; it's process #5, so I was reluctant to kill it -- but
when I tried, it wouldn't die; apt-get doesn't know anything about it;
none of the modules in /lib/modules/.../acpi/ seem to be loaded;
acpi-available returns 0; there's very little info in the files
in /proc/acpi; I get fairly frequent log messages saying that apm was
overridden by acpi...

Can someone please tell me what is going on? Ideally, I'd like a
shutdown -h to kill the power, but I'll happily do without that if this
is life with apci...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com