Re: Set your system clock

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 13:37 -0800, Tom Brown wrote:

> Now, I have ntpd and ntpdate installed on my debian-sarge system.

I do too. ntpdate is supposed to run once at boot to set the clock to
the server, then ntpd is supposed to keep it set after that. ntp won't
change the clock if it's too far off (5 minutes, I think). So ntpdate is
supposed to get in the ballpark, then hand off to ntpd.

> The ntpd
> daemon syncs with 81.169.154.116 according to the logs. However, it has not
> been keeping my system clock updated. Instead, I used cron to schedule
> ntpdate to run periodically to keep my system clock in sync. Shouldn't ntpd
> be doing this? I haven't touched the ntpd configuration, so is there
> something there that might be wrong?

If ntpd is indeed sync'ed with a server (run ntpq, then 'peers' and look
for a "*" -- that's the one it's sync'ed to), it should be adjusting
your clock. If there's no peer with a star, ntpd isn't in sync.

When I first started playing with ntp, I was too impatient -- it takes
ntp quite a while to start making changes. Turn off the cron jobs,
reboot, and let it run overnight.

OTOH, I don't see any reason not to just turn off ntpd and let cron run
ntpdate every hour or so (and at boot). That'd keep your clock accurate
with less net bandwidth and resource usage.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com