Re: Network Problems with a G4 running Woody

On (12/02/05 08:39), Jefferson Cowart wrote:
> Thanks for the help.
>
> This machine is being setup to be a production server so I'd rather not be
> running sid/sarge. When the machine first boots everything work properly. I
> can ping localhost, other machines, etc. The problem only happens after a
> restart of networking.
>
> To answer your other question here is the info I see:
>
> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> installation
> # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 134.173.87.1
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 134.173.87.0
>         broadcast 134.173.87.255
>         gateway 134.173.87.254
>         up /etc/init.d/local.firewall
This looks fine although I'm moving rapidly out of my depth here ;)

Two things I would try:

An alternative NIC card -  I don't have any experience of using PCI NIC
cards on Macs - can't think of a reason it wouldn't work (debian-powerpc
may shed some light

Check the firewall settings

Sorry not to be more help.

Regards