Modes problem

I'm having a terrible time trying to set the proper resolution to be used in X. I the only mode I had set in my XF86Config-4 was "1152x864". Yet, when an X session started, the mode "1024x768" was used. I then looked in XFree86's log, and found out that my "hsync" was "out of range", and since none of the default modes could be used, the kernel's framebuffer device interface used "Virtual size" which is 1024x768. How can I avoid this? I know my eMac's monitor is capable of displaying resolutions of up to 1280x960, and that my XF86Config-4's HorizSync range was entered in correctly.

Any help appreciated,
the monker