Re: GNOME is f*cked seven ways from Sunday

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

While many mail clients will accomodate unwrapped text:

  - Some don't.  Be considerate.

  - Many more fail to wrap and attribute quotes properly.

  - Many web-based list archives render unwrapped text as very long
    lines, e.g.:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200309/msg00568.html

Thank you.

on Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:02:46AM -0800, Seeker5528 (seeker5528@comcast.net) wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:06:25 -0800
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > What WMs does Nautilus manage _not_ to fuck up?  Anything other than
> >     metacity?  If so, it should just fucking *test* the environment and
> >     Get The Fuck Out Of The Way[tm] if a non-metacity WM is running.
>
> If you disable the drawing of the desktop it does not mess up any of
> the window managers.

The point made was:  why should the user have to do this?  The
application:

  1. Should not be scoped to have such overlapping functionality.
  2. Should autodetect when it's being used in a desktop context.

> I am not too big on having to use the gconf editor to change the
> setting, but I don't rant about the whole Gnome project because of it.

Faults noted.  Essentially:

  - General tools not feasible with gconf.

  - gconf management tools woefully undocumented (an improving
    situation, but it's like pulling teeth).

  - Inability to (readily) comment gconf settings.

  - GNOME / GNU aversion to manpages.

> Gnome session management sucks and by extension the expectation that
> window managers should be aware of gnome session mangement sucks, but
> it is not that hard to run a different windowmanager with Gnome.

The problem I'm alluding to is that it's very difficult to run GNOMEish
apps outside the GNOME environment.

> The applications are a whole seperate matter. If drag and drop or cut
> and paste doesn't work between 2 applications it is a bug and reports
> should be filed.

My understanding here is, generally, that there's a common interface
across GNOME, KDE, and other toolkits to manage snarf'n'barf & dragon
droppings.  This would seem to be relatively minor, all told.

> I do not view KDE as better than Gnome or Gnome as better than KDE.

One interesting story to note is the reasons the Knoppix project elected
for KDE over GNOME:

    http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/archives/20040907_why_knoppix_chose_kde.phtml

> Session management is my big nitpik. With the lack of good session
> management Windowmaker seems the best.

No arguments there ;-)

> With Windowmaker the option to save the session is right there on the
> menu, but as far as I can tell it does not care if applications are
> session aware or even have an option to handle session aware
> applications. This also means the part that is missing is the part
> that lets you have an open email client with a half written message,
> and without having to save the message to the draft folder, save the
> session, exit, come back in, and be back to your half written email
> message.
>
> The part that is missing in Gnome and KDE is the part that gracefully
> handles applications that are not aware of their particular brand of
> session management.

It's a myopia that's two-way:  the environments don't play particularly
well with third-party apps, and apps to some extent don't play well with
third-party environments.  I see far fewer issues with KDE than GNOME,
however.

Peace.

    Thought is free.