Re: GNOME is f*cked seven ways from Sunday

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:06:25 -0800
"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> What WMs does Nautilus manage _not_ to fuck up?  Anything other than
>     metacity?  If so, it should just fucking *test* the environment and
>     Get The Fuck Out Of The Way[tm] if a non-metacity WM is running.

If you disable the drawing of the desktop it does not mess up any of the window managers.

I am not too big on having to use the gconf editor to change the setting, but I don't rant about the whole Gnome project because of it.

It is non obvious, but upon learning that it was necessary to use the gconf editor to change the setting I did not find it to be all that difficult to find my way to 'apps --> nautilus --> preferences' in the left pane then find 'show_desktop' in the right pane.

Gnome session management sucks and by extension the expectation that window managers should be aware of gnome session mangement sucks, but it is not that hard to run a different windowmanager with Gnome. Some work well and some not so well. The session management in KDE is not any better, but at least as far as window managers are concerned it does not matter.

I can edit the startkde script so the gnome-settings daemon is run and metacity is used as the window manager. Without nautilus being used to draw the desktop and have the gnome panel set to start automatically, which is my preference in KDE centric distrobutions where Gnome only has limited support.

The applications are a whole seperate matter. If drag and drop or cut and paste doesn't work between 2 applications it is a bug and reports should be filed. For the more recent stuff if you are running something that provides a notification area and you see something running in a little window that should be in the notification area it is a bug in the the thing providing the notification area or the thing providing the notification and a bug should be filed.

For the record I do prefer Gnome for my desktop, but if a single application has interfaces for KDE, Gnome, or GTK I will usually choose the GTK interface.

I do no view KDE as better than Gnome or Gnome as better than KDE. In some ways they are similar and in others they are polar opposites. There needs to be some middle ground and that is where freedesktop.org comes in. With standards getting hammered out ad freedesktop.org then getting implemented in various projects things are getting better.

Session management is my big nitpik. With the lack of good session management Windowmaker seems the best.

With Windowmaker the option to save the session is right there on the menu, but as far as I can tell it does not care if applications are session aware or even have an option to handle session aware applications. This also means the part that is missing is the part that lets you have an open email client with a half written message, and without having to save the message to the draft folder, save the session, exit, come back in, and be back to your half written email message.

The part that is missing in Gnome and KDE is the part that gracefully handles applications that are not aware of their particular brand of session management. This is particularly annoying if you have them set so the session is saved automatically in which case you never know if the non session aware apps will get started or not and if you manually set things up so they get started Gnome or KDE may run them twice or at least try and having the applications save their state is a crap shoot.

Later, Seeker