Re: Silly little regex question

Adam Aube wrote:
Eric d'Alibut wrote:

In a shell script:

`eval date +%j`

returns the so-called "Julian" date (a misnomer I believe, but there
it is), the number of days into the present year, aka "yearday":

$ echo `eval date +%j`
036

I want a regex that will strip the leading zero _or_ zeros (if it's
January) from the yearday, using the shell contructions:

Why not just go the easy route and use "+%-j", which causes date to not pad
with leading zeroes?

pipe through sed like either of these:

date +%j |sed 's/^0+//'
date +%j |sed -r 's/^0?//'

On some systems (e.g., Solaris 9) date chokes on your suggestion:

$ date +%-j
%-j

Incidentally, my second suggestion also does not work on Solaris
9 (since it does not use GNU sed).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez