Re: request for server advice

Kevin Murphy wrote:

> I'd like to set up a linux server on an organization's network but
> outside the firewall, because otherwise it probably wouldn't be
> allowed.
>
> The box should play these roles:

With the exception of FTP/SFTP access for collaborators, this all looks like
internal, workgroup-only services. Most of these services should definitely
be kept inside the firewall.

I would suggest splitting the roles onto two servers - one for the
workgroup-only roles (inside the firewall), and one for the roles that
require public access to the server (outside the firewall).

> Other considerations:
> * easy user account maintenance for email and ssh, but number of users
> smallish (5-15)
> * security
> * should not require much root-level sysadmin maintenance

Most Unix-based systems don't require large amounts of root-level
maintenance once they are up and running.

> I assume the scientific applications (3 are X GUI apps) can run via ssh.

IIRC, there needs to be a running X server on the SSH client computers.

> * Would debian woody be good for this (assuming I verify scientific app
> compatibility)?

The general recommendation on this list seems to be that, unless the server
us truly "mission-critical" (a.k.a. "if this server goes down, I will
likely be fired"), install Sarge. It has support for more modern hardware
and has more current software, and will become Stable "soon".

> * How many hours do you think it would take to set up (see my
> experience below)?

Probably a few days, depending on how quickly you can work and how many
urgent issues crop up elsewhere that require your attention.

> * What is a good way to minimize user and email account administration?

Since you're allowing shell access anyway, you could just use system
accounts for email as well, though I don't know about POP server support
for system users - you'll have to check the documentation for your
preferred POP server.

> * What software pieces would you recommend, and how would each be
> administered?

The software pieces that best meet your needs and that you best know how to
setup properly.

Adam