Re: Mouse button emulation

a monkey wrote:

I just installed Debian Sarge on an eMac. As you know, Apple mice have only one mouse button, which serve as the left mouse button. But what if I want to right-click on something? Is there a key on my keyboard that will emulate the right mouse button? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
the monker

Yes, they do have two and three button mice for Macs, but the standard mice that come with them generally have only one button.
The following worked with my old world PowerMac, and should work on any Mac.

Do these commands to make F10 the middle button and F11 the right button:
|~$ echo "1" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation
~$ echo "68" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode
~$ echo "87" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode

Then add this to /etc/sysctl.conf to make it do the same on boot:|
dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation = 1
dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode = 68
dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode = 87

Cheerio!
       SigmaX

--
Registered Linux Freak #: 366,862

"My ISP won't talk to me after lodging a support call for helping gettting ADSL hooked up to a WinXP install running under VMWare under Linux on my XBox."
	'Anonymous Coward,' in a post on slashdot.org

"For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully commited to him."
	2 Chronicles 16:9a