Re: XFree86 hangs - 99% CPU usage

Doug wrote:
continuing on, I have reinstalled the entire machine from scratch.  This time, leaving my sources.list with stable.

it still hangs when I go to load X (I use runlevel 3 to run X, I default to runlevel 2, which I have as just a console
login)

any other things I can try to get this Xserver from using 99% of my cpu power and making the machine itself unresponsive
expect to ssh from a remote computer?  This is rather annoying because I can't run anything gui on the local machine.

-rp

Probably such advice is frowned upon here, but it can never hurd to have a look what knoppix makes of it - try putting a knoppix cd in there - and when the graphics card is detected fine, copying /etc/X11/XF86config* from knoppix to the hard disc just *might* solve all problems :-) It did here when I had X configuration problems

Also if you want to keep a "clean" /etc/X11/XF86config-4 (which is the file in question being faulty, probably), you could just copy it from knoppix to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.knoppix and have a look at different settings; that'll take more tweaking ofcourse... but it might be interesting as you may find out where the actual problem is; if you can't find out you can replace XF86Config-4 in the end anyway

HTH,

Joris