Re: disabling ethernet loopback device completely

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, salman h wrote:

2. the bigger issue: the kernel doesn't necessarily
make an effort to distinguish the motherboard NIC from
NICs on a PCI card. So when I end up replacing a

I'm not sure that it can. The onboard NIC is connected to the PCI bus just like the cards are. It just isn't removable. The onboard NIC is not even guaranteed to be eth0 as you note.

I suspect any attempt to identify the onboard NIC would be board specific.

In comparison, running Solaris on Suns I don't think I've ever seen the onboard NIC come up as anything other than the first NIC (the name of which varies under Solaris - hme0, le0, etc).

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.