Re: hitachi thunder 9500v modular storage system and debian

Dear Ron and Alvin,

Thank you both for the feedback!

I wonder about what you said.
Ron
>> I assume I will be given drivers as kernel modules and I can just modprobe
>> them and add  to them to initrd via mkinitrd.

>You're going to boot off the SAN?  I'd prefer to boot off of DASD.

Of course I won't boot from the big storage device. Why would I? I am planning
to boot from a separate 40Gb hard drive.

However, I find that if i have a device mounted, say  with an entry such as
/dev/sda1   /bigdevice   ext3    defaults   0 2
 in /etc/fstab,

then during debian initial bootup, while going through /etc/rcS.d, when my
sytem does
S30checkfs.sh,
My system stops to boot and I drop into a error correction shell, requiring
manual intervention (^D) unless I have the device driver for the
device /dev/sda1 inserted into initrd.img-2.6.8-1-386 via mkintrd.

How would i compile support for the device into the kernel if I just get a
binary driver for modprobing?

Secondly, I really want to get it working with Debian, because I like debian.
I am tired of redhat. I hate not being able to just pick my packages and hate
just having a broad choice of what works with the redhat workstation or
server categories. I like the power that debian gives me to configure my
system just right!

As long as I can get the driver to work, I am not worried about later
problems. I am doing a static mirror of my big data collection, so I wont
have issues of later corruption.

This will be fun. I appreciate your comments of caution, but we all care about
using debian too much to miss a chance to do this the DEBIAN way!

Mitchell