Re: How to boot alternative Debian version safely?

On (10/02/05 17:09), Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I want to install a second version of Debian on a different partition
> (don't ask why, it's a long story; I need to experiment).
>
> My  main version is at /dev/hdb9. I therefore installed a second version
> at /dev/hda7.
>
> I wanted to make a floppy to boot this but that didn't work. I therefore
> added the  following entry to my /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>

> title 		Debian test system, kernel 2.4.27-1-386
> root       	(hd0,7)
> kernel		/boot/vmlinuz=2.4.27-1-386 root=/dev/hda7 ro
> savedefault
> boot
>

> However, when I select this at boot it says Error 22: there is no such
> partition as (hd07).
>
> Should I change the entry in menu.lst or is there some other way of
> booting this partition? I didn't let the installation do anything to my
> hard disk because I do NOT want to mess up my main Debian version.
>
> Anthony
Hi Anthony

I've got 3 machines with multiple debian systems, 2 with grub.  My
workstation, mainly runs sid-amd64 but has sarge (32 bit) as a reserve
system plus I've got windows XP and a recent install of Beatrix.  I've
kept another 7GB for any other system I might like to try.

After the automatic kernels list, I have:
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
# Debian
# ones.
title           Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
# OS
# on /dev/hda2
title           Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root            (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/hda7.
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-386 (on /dev/hda7)
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-386 root=/dev/hda7 ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8-1-386
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/hda7.
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-386 (recovery mode) (on
/dev/hda7)
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-386 root=/dev/hda7 ro single
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8-1-386
savedefault
boot

# This entry manually added for a new installation of Beatrix
# linux installation on /dev/hda20
title           Beatrix, kernel 2.6.7
root            (hd0,19)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda20 ro
initrd          /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

Hope this helps