Re: sound card not configured

On Thursday 10 Feb 2005 11:51, belahcene wrote:

> Hi,
> The module sb.o is loaded, the kudzu program link this module to
> the ES1869,  but write this in /etc/modutils/kudzu. But the
> alsaconf searched for  snd-es18xx, et didn't find it while the
> module is the same as sb.

sb.o is an OSS module. It's not surprising that ALSA can't configure
it.

I have the same soundcard as you, and it's working as happily with
ALSA as it used to work with OSS. alsaconf didn't detect it, but I
finally got it working.

Try this in etc/modprobe.d/sound:

alias snd-card-0 snd-es18xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-es18xx
options snd-es18xx dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5

I also have this line in /etc/modules:

snd-es18xx

But I'm not sure this is necessary.

I recommend using ALSA, especially if you have a 2.6.x kernel, but if
you prefer to use the OSS sb driver, I think sndconfig is still part
of Woody, so it ought to be available from any Debian mirror. Use the
package search utility on the Debian site.

You'll probably still have problems if the system tries to load both
OSS and ALSA modules. You'll need to disable one or the other. Good
luck!

--
PJR :-)