ext3 Re: Sarge with ext3, reiserfs (3/4?) or xfs?

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 00:36 -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
>
> > take ext3. ext3 is reliable, and doesn't hickup when there is a badblock
>
> sure it does ... ext2 is underneath ext3... so its painful

That's a bit of an ambiguous statement.

ext3 uses the ext2 disk structures, but it is my understanding
that the ext3 *code* has nothing at all to do with ext2.

> and moreover, ext3 is subject to super long fsck when you hit the
> power switch on 20GB or 200GB or 2TB or 20TB systems

That is misleading.  As you surely know, the init script runs
fsck.ext3 on a partition when *either* of these 2 situations occur:
(a) it was not cleanly unmounted
     OR
(b) the partition has not been fsck'ed in X number of days.

Choice (b) is optional, and thus can be disabled.

So, when an ext3 dive does *not* have to be fsck'ed, it starts up
extremely quickly.

Of course, if your boxes have very long uptimes, init will decide
that each partition must be fsck'ed at each boot.  So, disable it.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Would you mind not firing on the thermonuclear weapons?"
A great line, from a *great* movie: Broken Arrow