Re: installing debian

On (09/02/05 17:10), rikfonteijn@lycos.nl wrote:
> To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> From: rikfonteijn@lycos.nl
> Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:10:50 +0100
> Subject: installing debian
>
> Hello,
> can someone help me with install instructions for debian, i cant install
> it, and cant find eighter why that is so. The install guide isnt good
> enough for my pc
>
> rik fonteijn
> (starting with linux, still working with xp :(         )
Hi Rik

Go to:

download and burn the appropriate .iso (rc2 for your architecture)

Boot from it and follow the instructions.  You may need some information
about your hardware during the install.  In windows run Belarc Advisor
and print off the report.

Prior to install you need to defrag your disk so that the partition can
be resized during the install without loss of data,  unless you are
going to use a second drive.  Back up important stuff first.

Read the install manual first - some of it won't make sense but in time
you will not only understand it but benefit greatly from it ;)

You can get into the system during the install by pressing alt-f2 thus
should you need the location of your graphics card for example you can
type lspci which will list the pci devices.

My favourite install method is to download the sarge.netinst.iso and do
a network install (only really practical with a broadband connection).

Welcome to the wonderful world of debian ...... the only time I boot
into XP is to help some of our clients who have yet to see the light ;)

regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...