sendmail works only for localhost

Hi, List.

At our organisation so far our mail server has been sendmail running on
slackware 9. Apart from the fact that our current mail server is rather old
now (the only up-to-date thing being the kernel), of course, it is working
just fine.
Since Debian's package management is way more convenient for updates, the fact
that I am quite comfortabl with debian and all our other linux boxes
(web-server, proxy-servers and gateways) are running debian etc., I convinced
our IT folk that we should switch to Debian for the mail server too. So I
gave it a go, installed a minimal woody installation, after that I
immediately upgraded to sid and replaced exim with sendmail.
I have no previous experience with sendmail running on debian and just basic
knowledge about sendmail on slackware (after all I did install it and
configured it on our current mail server). I thought that it would be easy to
migrate - the default configuration after installation should be sensible and
I had only to do the configuration based on our slackware box.
However, all I could manage is fire up sendmail for localhost.
I did quite a lot of reading, but documentation seems chaotic and I got
confused and stuck.
I am ready to provide any necessary information, but what I need is a little
help about the step-by-step configuration: I mean - apt-get install, after
that check X is ok, after that edit Y.conf to get what you want, etc.

For the slackware installation all I needed was
edit /etc/mail/access, /etc/mail/local-host-names, /etc/relay-domains and
then enablke pop3 in inetd.conf.

But this is not the case with debian.
Could you send me some hints, for I am sure sendmail works on debian and in
the meanwhile afraid that I might break something if I go on with tweaking
things I do not quite understand.

Best regards
Chavdar Videff