Re: Linux and e-commerce

On Thursday 03 February 2005 01:38 am, ken keanon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info on openoffice.org.
>
> After all the discussion about 'open' vs
> 'proprietary', I think its time to proof something.
>
> I want to set up a small e-commerce business based
> only on 'open' software. I am sure this had been done
> before. Suggestions would be welcomed.
>
> To start with I think I need a web server. Not a
> problem here. Apache would be the choice. Next, I need
> a database, website designer, order processing, a
> credit card payment and accounting packages. I am not
> sure what are the Debian packages available to support
>  these functions.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Ken
First I will make an assumption that you at least have some experience in
systems administration and security issues, if not then you should "hire' it
done. Second since your asking questions here, I will also assume you are
running Debian Linux of some flavor.

1. Install a non-threaded version of perl. The Debian threaded perl will not
work in this arrangement.
2. Install interchange available as either a tarball for custom installs or as
a debian version from the /sid Debian distro.
3. Install SqL-Ledger for accounting purposes also from sid or as a
tarball(thats a little tougher)
4. Buy and install Moneydance (Java) for your online banking software. It's
inexpensive and well supported.
5. You will need to install postgresql for this software arrangement.
6. I would choose Apache2 as the server. It is much easier to manage and use
the prefork server.
7. If you are really adventurous and want to do site management from a content
management framework then zope is your tool. I would suggest nvu or quanta
for the less ambitious.
8. A very useful tool to have is webmin, also from Debian sid.
9. For office use I prefer OpenOffice.org form /sid

Please note I use sid for most of my installs but I am extremely careful and
only install applications from sid "after' I have tested them on an identical
tesbed site. I never even try to update an app if there is a bug listed, it's
too risky and can easily screw up a production system. (YES I use sid in my
production systems)

I advise you that learning how to use all of these will take a lot of effort.
Learning to customize them will take more. All that AFTER you manage to get
them installed and working together.
Good Luck & have FUN!!!

--
John Foster