Re: 64 bit

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 11:39 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Quoting Rodney Richison <rodney@rcrcomputing.com>:

Ok, my personal machine, the MB died. Sooooo, should I do a 64bit board as a replacement or wait?

Do you want a machine that will do very heavy duty workload (large video
editing and database apps)?  If so, then yes.

For DB, yes, but only video editing if you are running specialized
apps.  Why?  w32codecs doesn't natively run in 64 bit mode.

You shouldn't be encoding video with w32codecs anyway, you should be using libavcodec[which is pretty much the default for mencoder as much as their is a default[you have to explicitly set the video codec to something, I think]] or possibly libxvidcore, both of which are open source[though I have no idea as to their 64-bit support]. The vast majority of my video doesn't require w32codecs at all[ie any divx/xvid is well supported natively]. Not sure what you mean by 'specialized apps'.