Re: Kernel Upgrade?

Pollywog escribió:

On 01/30/2005 05:44 pm, Steve Turnbull wrote:
On Sunday 30 January 2005 16:18, Max wrote:
Dear All,

Is it possible to change the Linux kernel in a Debian installation
without having to do a complete reinstall?
You can easily upgrade the kernel without reinstalling the whole operating
system - a very common thing to do. I don't know what version of Debian you
are using, but if you do;

apt-get update
apt-cache search kernel-source

I would like to add one comment. I have tried to compile a 2.6.9 kernel and also 2.6.10 and both failed with an error relating to "gamma_drm" or something similar. I did some Googling and found this is due to some broken driver in those kernels. I believe there is a patch that removes the driver so that the kernel can be compiled. The broken driver will be removed from newer kernels, that is what I read. I am staying with the 2.6.8 kernel until this is fixed.

--

8)

sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com

How did you returned to the old kernel ?.
This is important for me to try it again ( last time, I had to reinstall Debian again).
Regards.