Xfree/Xkb issues?

Hi, I recently upgraded my system (Sparc) to testing
and then unstable. After upgrading to testing, the
keyboard mapping got disoriented (e.g. g=h, h=j, 5=b,
6=n, etc). This occurs as early as the login screen.
In console logins, the keyboard works perfectly fine,
but the usual ctrl+alt+F1 switch is now uparrow+a+F1.
If I use a GNOME session, I get the following error
after logging in:
Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The XFree86 Project, Inc
40300001
You are using XFree 4.3.0.
There are known problems with complex XKB
configurations.
Try using simpler configuration or taking more fresh
version of XFree software.
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb

Running these two commands:
1:
$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "sun", "type5",
"us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "sun", "type5", "us", "",
""

$ gconftool-2 -R
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
 layouts = [us]
 model = pc104
 overrideSettings = false
 options = []
 update_handlers = []

I've also included the relevant section from
XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "sun"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "type5"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

If I use a KDE session or kdm, I still get the same
mapping issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben Tang