Re: first time install

Timothy,

To detect your current network configuration run:

dmesg | grep -i net

check if the output reports something about your card, for example for me it was:

fgutierrez@fgutierrez:~$ dmesg | grep -i net
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

If it doesnt detect anything then try:

lspci | grep net

so we can know what ethernet controller you have and recommend the correct module, for example the output was:

fgutierrez@fgutierrez:~$ lspci | grep net
0000:02:02.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)

with that information we can help you with your problem.

--
Fernando

Matt Johnson wrote:

--- Timothy Payne <tim@tmpco.com> wrote:
I've run into a bit of a snag.

Xserver dies when started.  I don't think the
settings are correct as
they are on the motherboard.

Are you running Woody? Get Sarge!

I need at least a
generic setting, and
where to find the file and an editor.  I don't like
to use vi cuz I'm
lazy and need to get out my cheat sheet :-)

"nano" is your friend...

cd /etc/X11

and you'll find your X486 config file in there (sorry,
can't remember exactly what it's called). "ls" to see
the list of files... Nano it.

The other problem is the network card where do I
check to see if it has
located the right one, also on the motherboard.

Hmmm... look in interfaces I think - /etc/network

Not sure on this one though...

--
Matt

___________________________________________________________ ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com