Re: nvu on sarge?

Randall J. Parr wrote:

> The pkg libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 appears to be pkg related to gcc 2.95.
> I have gcc 3.3 installed.
>
> Is libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 an old pkg or a compatibility pkg?

It's the C++ library used by programs that were originally compiled with
g++ 2.95.  Since the current default C++ compiler is g++ 3.3, in that
sense libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 is a package for backwards compatibility
with C++ apps that have not yet been recompiled.  The package still
exists and is supported in sarge and sid, so I wouldn't say it's "old".

You could, of course, recompile nvu from source with the newer compiler,
which will make it depend on libstdc++5 instead.

> Is it save to install it?

Yes, certainly.  In general you can install any library package without
affecting any other already-installed one.  (This does not necessarily
apply to library _development_ packages, i.e. those named libsomething-dev.)

> Is there a better way to provide the requisite backwards compatibility?

You could try creating a symlink,
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++.so.5

This may not work correctly, depending on exactly how the library has
changed between versions 2.10 and 5.  I advise installing the entire
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 package -- it has a higher probability of working
with nvu.

regards,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544