Re: what is the correct way to upgrade the kernel with apt-get

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 19:10 -0200, otavio augusto viegas wrote:
> What is the correct, or easyest, way to upgrade the kernel with
> apt-get.
>
> I did it by apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8 ...
>
> Added an entry in lilo.conf with the new image,
>
> ran lilo and rebooted.
>
> But i couldn't boot up.
>
> I' using a knoppix instaled in the hd. Before it, I did upgrade and
> distro-upgrade.

Otavio, you've asked a very awkward question for this list: knoppix is
not debian, just very close, and it doesn't always do things the way
most people on this list expect (and know about, and can help you with).
Most of us use knoppix as an emergency disk, not installed to the
harddisk as our main system.

However, if you could please attach a `cat /etc/lilo.conf` and an
`ls /boot` to an email to this list someone here can certainly help you get
your system to boot. Anything else, no promises made.

What's the 'easiest' way to upgrade the kernel I'll leave to someone
else, since I've never had a 'debian compliant' boot ;)