Re: which mailserver to choose?

On 2005-02-06 @ 12:54:52 (week 05) Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:

> I think I will be running Woody on the server, which is a AMD 850 with
> 512MB ram, I have used this box as Debian server before and the speed is
> then two- tree times faster then running windoze:)
>
> The current mailsystem, Merak, is a wery "light" mailserver but with all
> the functionallity you'll need with support for POP, IMAP, webmail,
> calendar, news, mailinglists (all users in domain) and IM server.
> It's very easy to create and administer users, create alias and set quota
> for mailboxes on per domain or user.

Hi Ernst-Mange,

IIRC exim is the default mailer for Debian and it is a very good mailer
too, but I've always liked postfix better. Postfix runs very well on
anything from boxes with limited resources to high-end enterprise
systems. It is build as a *secure* and easy to maintain replacement for
sendmail. The postfix site has very good documentation and the
postfix-users list is very helpful (although I have to admit it is not
always very easy on newbies). If you decide to go with postfix and need
a recipe to get up-and-running quick just let me know and I'll send you
a copy of my howto (I've been meaning to put it online for months now,
but somehow just can't find the time to do it).

Another piece of advice: if you are not already a well-versed postmaster
it is better to forget about sendmail. It is an extremely capable MTA,
but the configuration can be difficult making it all too easy to make
mistakes you'd rather not make. Qmail is good too, but AFAICT is not
actively mainitained anymore. You'll do yourself a favor if you stick to
either exim or postfix. Both are good and have large and active
communities, which is good if you need some assistance to solve a
problem.

Grx HdV