Re: Troubleshooting NFS - was Replacing NFS with Samba

Cameron Hutchison wrote:

Once upon a time Daniel L. Miller said...
Croy, Nathan wrote:
From: Daniel L. Miller [mailto:dmiller@amfes.com]
Now it's not just NFS - CIFS shares are locking up as well! I can ssh to the workstation, the network connection appears fine, every other @#$%ing station has no problems - so I don't see this as a server problem. I switched ports on my 100BaseT switch last night - and still this lockup occurs. Anybody got a bright idea for me?
Try a different network card, preferably one with a different driver.

It's a completely new computer - with a different architecture and network driver.

So, you've tried changing the computer (including NIC) and switch port,
and the problem still occurs?

Have your tried a different network cable?

Have you tried running the network cable along a different path? I dont
know if nearby power cables (crossing the network cable) can make a
difference, but my basic understanding of physics suggests it can.
Brand new network cable - stretched along the floor - so far so good!

I obviously have to re-work our inside wiring - that stinks, but at least it appears I've narrowed the fault to that cable. Thanx.

Is there a way of logging network disconnects?
--
Daniel