Compile programs on sarge (glibc 2.3.2) to run on woody (glibc 2.2.5)?

Dear group,

I would like to compile programs on my sarge box and have them run
correctly on a woody box. Sometimes (most of the time?), this works fine.
However, sometimes it breaks; when running on the woody box I get:

  /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./dlc)

An objdump analysis on the program reveals dependency on two glibc 2.3
symbols:

  00000000    F *UND*  00000071   __ctype_toupper_loc@@GLIBC_2.3
  00000000    F *UND*  00000071   __ctype_b_loc@@GLIBC_2.3

When compiled on woody, the program works fine on both systems.
The two __ctype* symbols appear in the woody-compiled program as:

  080adf48 g  O .bss   00000004   __ctype_toupper@@GLIBC_2.0
  080adf4c g  O .bss   00000004   __ctype_b@@GLIBC_2.0

So -- is there anything I can do to request that glibc 2.3-specific
symbols not be used when I compile programs (using current sarge gcc and
toolchain)?

Thanks,

Reid