Re: Debian (sarge) on HP Proliant (DL320/DL360)

> According to [1] the tg3 driver stopped working in april last year because
> it contained some code that it shouldn't contain and therefore it was
> removed from (or the code in question was removed which made the driver
> not working correctly in) kernel 2.4.26 and 2.6.5 (the ones shipped with
> testing at that time).
>
> The tg3 driver that is included in newer Debian kernels is in other words
> back in function?
>
> [1] = http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/04/msg11540.html

hi

only the binary firmware part of the driver has been removed, but it works
without it, at least on DL320 NICs.
there may be a performance loss, things like HW error control may be
disabled.

> You write that you've installed Debian on various Proliants, does that
> also include
> DL140 (with no RAID at all)? Is it as much crappy as the DL320?

i don't know DL140, I've setup some ML350, ML370, DL360(G1) machines 2~3
years ago (first with potato then woody), those have always been robust
servers with very low maintenance needs.