Re: Debian (sarge) on HP Proliant (DL320/DL360)

Hi again,

On 15:26 2005-02-04 +0100 botio wrote:
no, the tg3 driver is used automatically from the start and works, but for
better performance you can use the bcm5700-source package to compile a
module package for your kernel.

According to [1] the tg3 driver stopped working in april last year because it
contained some code that it shouldn't contain and therefore it was removed
from (or the code in question was removed which made the driver not working
correctly in) kernel 2.4.26 and 2.6.5 (the ones shipped with testing at that
time).

The tg3 driver that is included in newer Debian kernels is in other words
back in function?

[1] = http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/04/msg11540.html

you still have a hardware warranty.
btw, what kind of extra support from HP do you have when you choose redhat
or suse, apart from not be able to use another kernel than the exact one
given by RH or Suse?

For a moment I thought, because Debian isn't a supported OS on Proliant servers,
that HP would cancel the hardware warranty if something went wrong, i.e. after
use of some driver (that comes with Debian but isn't approved by HP and is not
included with RedHat or Suse) that in some magical way fried a vital component.

in my opinion the DL360 is much better than the DL320, it has much better
components, scsi, drives hot swap etc.
drivers for Compaq/HP scsi RAID controllers are included in the kernel and
very stable.
I've installed debian without problems on various proliants and the DL320 is
the first one I find so much crappy.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think I will avoid DL320 and use a DL360
with SCSI RAID instead to be able to install and use Debian on a HP Proliant
without (too much of a) headache.

In another forum I've been in touch with another person that uses Debian on DL360 (but he hadn't tested the DL320) and he too says DL360 works fine, but that there could be some minor problems during install (I'm waiting for a clarification from him). According to him there are less problems during install if I choose kernel
2.4.x.

You write that you've installed Debian on various Proliants, does that also include
DL140 (with no RAID at all)? Is it as much crappy as the DL320?

Regards,

Henrik