new computer, same harddisks: problem booting windows (MBR problems)

Hello,

I'm in the following situation:
We just bought a new computer (AMD Sempron, 3100 series I thought) and let the two hard disks we had in the old one, be put into the new one. Now, by mistake the first hard disk was inserted as the second one and the second one was inserted as the first one; as I now think of it it had all taken a lot less effort to get things working just by swapping them back, but none of us here feels really comfortable touching the real hardware in there :-/ We found by changing which disk to boot in bios, we could again get to the lilo screen, and were then succesfull to boot windows; however, lilo or other settings still mentioned the new "hda" as "hdb" so booting linux would give kernel panicks As I had no idea how to make lilo work again -- trying to change /hda/hdb only resulted in lilo complaining that it did not have permission to write to hda; In the end, as I did not have a boot disk of debian/sarge, I put in an old knoppix cd (version 3.2), and let it install; Now, as I thought this would take care of all, I let this knoppix write to MBR, and now I believe this was another error of mine, because now windows won't boot (choosing it from the lilo menu only says it tries to boot windows but nothing happens)

Now, this new MBR info was written on the disk on which linux was installed, not the one on which windows was installed (the other way around had always worked before)

Now at last I got to my question: How can I get windows to boot again? My father has data on that and he uses still some programs on this machine as he needs a program which is using a telephone modem; Also, when choosing to mount /dev/hdb1 which is the place where windows is supposed to be, mount says,
jorishuizer@debian:~$ mount /mnt/hdb1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
       or too many mounted file systems

/etc/fstab reads:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
/dev/hda4  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/hda1  none  swap  sw  0  0
proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
/dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda /mnt/sda auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdd /mnt/hdd auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

thanks for any help,

regards,

Joris