sarge install /var/cache/apt/archives does not contain all the debs on system

Hi,
I did an install of debian sarge from the new installer, then upon reboot
selected workstation from tasksel and now don't see any packages
in /var/cache/apt. However when I then do
apt-get install {a bunch of packages} I find them.

I wonder why the tasksel packages aren't there - aren't they also installed
via apt? After all, after reboot  i edit /etc/apt/sources.lst so that apt can
find them....

is there any way to have the packages installed by the  installer and tasksel
to leave the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives too?

Thanks,
MItchell Laks