Re: aptitude vs. apt-get

On 04 Feb 2005, Andreas Rippl wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:03:20PM -0600, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:
> > aptitude vs. apt-get
> >
> > I've read a couple commentaries, specifically a note on debian.org
> > (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html)
> > suggesting usage of aptitude over apt-get.
> >
> > But I've been using apt-get & dselect in combination for some time now,
> > will switching to aptitude cause me problems? Will using aptitude and
> > apt-get interchangeably cause me problems?
> >
> > Or are they really just different interfaces to the same system and I'll
> > be ok?
>
> Ok, I see someone has to stand up for apt-get here, everybody else seems
> to go for aptitude...

[snip]

I do use aptitude most of the time but occasionally it seems to get
itself into a loop and I can't remove things. In those circumstances I
find that apt-get resolves the problem. I seem to be able to swap back
and forth between aptitude and apt-get without anything bad happening.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic