Re: max file sizes stopping tar backups?

    michael> I cannot find mention in the 'info tar' pages about max
    michael> file limits so I cannot see whether the '2Gb max file
    michael> size' is an issue. However, I do get the error below. Am
    michael> I right in deducing, therefore, that there is indeed a
    michael> 2Gb limit? (presumably for archive files or tar file

Michael,

It may not be applicable in this situation, but some shells, like
/bin/tcsh can limit file sizes.  What happens when you type

  $ limit

at your prompt?  You may need to add an

  unlimit filesize

command to your shell's rc file.