Re: modify debian packages

If you do an apt-get source pacakgename it will download the source for
the debian package. YOu can then edit the files in the source tree, to
rebuild the package after this is done you execute
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot from inside the source tree. eg:

#apt-get source somepackage
#cd somepackage-1.0.0
#### Make edits to source tree where needed
#dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
#cd ..

Your new debian packages should now be found in the parent directory of
the source tree.

Another option would be to create your own configuration package that
manipulates the required files on the system. That way you can install
the standard debian packages and when they upgrade you won't need to
worry about rebuilding them. Plus if you ever change the configuration
you can change your configuration package instead of having to rebuild

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).