modify debian packages

hi,

can we modify a debian source and rebuild it easily.

have you any pointer on this or recommendation

Cedric Briner
P.-S. if you are interested why I'd like to do this check the following.

I have to take care of 30 debian station, and this will grow up.

I was thinking of using apt-get upgrade to propagate my configuration files to my stations.

eg.
you want to use cupssys.
so you change the:
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
/etc/cups/printers.conf
/etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd files

apt-get source cupssys
report the cupsd.conf printers.conf and *.ppd on the source

rebuild the package

push it to your local repository

and ask your machine to automatically update from this repository.

no??? any better idea