Re: Newbie kernel upgrade advice

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 11:54, James Scott wrote:
> I've recently converted to Debian(Sarge) from RedHat, and am now a
> little confused about upgrading the kernel.  The installer set me up
> with 2.6.8-1-386.  When I 'apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6' I find
> several different versions of the kernel to choose from. (i.e. 2.6,
> 2.6.10-1, 2.6.8-2, 2.6.9-2)  How do I know which one I want?
>
> Also, the installer loaded the 386 version of the kernel.  I am running
> a P4 1.8GHz.  Should I upgrade to the 686 version of the kernel?

Debian keeps several options open to you for your kernel selection.
Usually I go with the newest version (in this case 2.6.10-1). Also when
installing a kernel I try to go with the one that meets my processor (in
this case the 686 variant). When debian installs on your system it uses
the 386 version because it is the one that will work on any x86 based
system.

I hope that this helps.

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).