Re: installing rpm -- changing dependencies

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:10:54PM +0100, Tim Gruene wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running debian-sarge on a P4 with an ATI graphics board ATI provides
> drivers as rpm-packages for.
> I converted the rpm-package into a deb package and could install it saying
> dpkg --install --force-overwrite fglrx_4_3_0-9.8.25-1.i386.deb
> the overwrite flag is necessary because
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
> from xlibmesa-gl is replaced by this packages.
>
> However, updating of any packages now gets stuck (using either dselect or
> apt-get upgrade) because xlibmesa-gl is prevented from overwriting
> library.
>
> Is there a way to tell the system that libGL.so may be provided by either
> packages and should simply be ignored? So far I resolved the problem by
> 	deinstalling fglrx
> 	upgrading the system
> 	reinstalling fglrx with --force-overwrite
> but that seems very awkward.
>
> Cheers to any help,
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,
this is as example of using dpkg-divert:
 -------------------------------
 dpkg-divert --package dpkg --add --local  --rename --divert
 /usr/bin/dpkg.real /usr/bin/dpkg
 -------------------------------
 In this case, I want to move /usr/bin/dpkg to /usr/bin/dpkg.real
 and to have any future /usr/bin/dpkg to be written to
 /usr/bin/dpkg.real.
 This may be used for /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2. But I dont know if it
 should be set for fglfx or xlibmesa-gl.
 Cheers,
 -Kev

--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||