how to run mplayer as user

hello debian people,
I am having trouble in making mplayer to run as user: it starts only if I am
root. I read the mplayer faq saying that the answer is to make mplayer suid
root, which I did:
# ls -l /usr/bin/mplayer
-rwsr-sr-x  1 root root 3695112 2004-12-29 17:13 /usr/bin/mplayer
but it still refuses to start giving the error:
Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
program instead. For further details, see:

    http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+.

Do you know any solution? I don't know what a "helper program" is.
--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
Successfully Microsoft free since December 2002.