Re: kernel? 2.4.x vs 2.6.x

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 03:57:39AM -0600, Colin J. Ingram wrote:

> that bittorrent releaves stress on servers, but the download was much
> slower on my connection.  This must be improved for bittorrent to
> become a viable option.

This is probably a problem with your client or Internet pipe. Cruise on
over to the bittorrent FAQs, but I'd suspect that you aren't sharing
enough during your bittorent downloads (are you behind a firewall?), and
the protocol essentially punishes leechers.

Under almost no circumstances is bittorrent *slower* than a direct
download from the same source.

> Should I upgrade to a 2.6.x kernel? In other terms, its pool time! Do
> you use 2.4.x or 2.6.x with sarge and why?

If you're running Sarge anyway, you're probably not running a system
where you're afraid of new features and possible (though unlikely)
problems, so why not stick with the latest 2.6 kernels?

Stick with 2.4 if you want stability and upgrades only for serious
issues, and 2.6 if you want the leading edge.

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/