Re: Stupid newbie question...

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah wrote:

Hey
I am COMPLETELY new to linux but I've used a Knoppix bootable cd and
have instantly fallen in love. Even from cd my system runs
considerably faster than with xp.

Having said this, I want to install debian but don't want to monkey
around with the partitions on my existing C drive. Is it possible to
install a second hard drive and run  two os's that way? Meaning, to
set it up so that I can boot my computer and get the option of either
running my windows os on my windows hard disc or my debian os on my
debian hard disc.

You can do this quite easily. It's called dual-booting. Google for "linux" and "dual boot" and you'll find more hits than you'll know what to do with.

Just install the second hard drive, grab the 100MB or so net-installer for Sarge from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/, and get started.

--
Kent West
Technology Support